Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Week Two Poem: Winter Blues

This wintry landscape of ice blue and gray
Stirred by the North Wind’s finger
Surrounds me on all sides
Holds me bound to its chilly breast

I am a reluctant human to greet the day
When it is so adorned in frost and white
Leaden feet plod toward my work
Away from my warm bed where I'd rather be
Toasty in the arms of my love all day.

A shiver runs up my spine
Deft fingers ache and turn clumsy under an Arctic kiss
Scrape the windshield, pray the heat cranks up soon
Watch for black ice and white ice and snow banks and plows
When did I get so old?

The forecast is bleak, more ice on the way
Too warm for snow and too cold for rain
Ice pellets encrust the world in a crystal wrapper
Kids are out of school again
At least they find some joy
In these wintry days

The sun sets early - though it’s later each day
On the way home I stop by the mailbox
It’s alive and blossoming with garden catalogs
Tomatoes and tulips, cabbages and columbines
I stick my nose deep into their colored pages
And play make believe

It’s 82 degrees and breezy
The lull of the hammock swinging back and forth
And the sweet heavy scent of lilacs and lilies
Makes me drunk, satisfied and sleepy.

Would that I could be intoxicated by such a vision
And pass out cold; hibernate until the Spring
When I awaken with the daffodils
A new fern unfurls to greet the yellow sun.

2 comments:

Comments are welcome. Please remember their are actual humans with feelings on the other end...civility is required.