Monday, May 9, 2016

For Thor - 47 - Nature's Cradle

Bittersweet. Again. Still. Always.



A sun-dappled trail leading into the greenwood beckons me.
Footfalls crush quietly into the echoes of last year's leaves,
A decaying contrast to the hopeful love songs
That fill the canopy above my head.

Toadstools tip their canty caps as I stroll past
A silent salute to life that arises from the dead.
A butterfly lightly kisses their spotted crowns with tiny feet,
And fans them with a kaleidoscopic breeze.

A delicate fern unfurls her tentative fronds
To taste the golden honeyed sun.
Her feet are rooted in a thousand seasons
Of earth's turning.

Life and death are one. It is plain, here in nature's cradle.

I recall a summer so long ago.
When you were small.
And innocent.
And alive with a spark of the primordial stars
that tethered you in the heavens.

Your star-child laughter filled the wood with a song called,
Youthful Jubilance!
And you let loose the rhythmic dance of one who
Is free to kiss the sky and sing with the eagles
In a clear stream, you splashed diamond drops of pure joy
That fell like crystals upon on the
Soft, dark earth.

Fresh water runs over rock,
Cajoling jagged edges,
Smoothing them with a patience that
Lives in eternity.
Bedecked in moss, the stone gives way
To that persistent flow.

An intrepid little creek, so very like the
Essence of my heart,
Pouring forth.
Where you dance still
With wild abandon. Perfect in love.

I cannot kiss your face, my love.
I cannot hold your hand.
I cannot see your eyes, my dear.
Nor hear you sing so grand.

I cannot whisper jokes to you,
And dance with you so spry.
For you have gone to earth, my love,
And left me here to cry.

Nature is where you reside, my love,
You're cloaked in leaf and loam
Here, in the wildwood
You are the hawk that soars so high,
You are the deer that roams.

I have only to lift my eyes to see
That the sun shines brightly, still.
You warmly kiss away my tears
And hug me in the wind.

The sun-dappled trail beckons me, Thor
To come, open my eyes and see
The beauty of the greenwood
And the love you have for me. 

I love you, 
Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. Please remember their are actual humans with feelings on the other end...civility is required.