Sunday, February 14, 2016

For Thor - 24 - Valentine


It's Valentine's Day. So, yeah, you should be here. You would have taken Starr out for dinner and done something over the top and amazing to make a romantic evening. And then hopefully you'd have dropped by for Sunday supper and to receive the little candy heart from dad and me. Instead, I am writing you a love letter by a blog and hoping that the angel realm has access to the internet.

In keeping with the traditional cheesy Valentine theme, I want to use the letters of your name to reflect on the awesomeness of you. THURSTON Lewie, Eyes of Bluey, will you be my Valentine?

T is for Tremendous
In nineteen short years, you managed to live a life with tremendous impact on a great number of people. I am so impressed by just how many people have told me that you were their best friend and that you always listened when they needed to talk or that you would unquestioningly help them out in times of trouble or distress. It is tremendous that you volunteered at every opportunity, helping others, the community, and your family.

You also loved tremendously, fearlessly giving your whole heart and rolling with it wherever it might take you. I was amazed at how one so young could go so far in love.

H is for Hilarious
Your sense of humor is legendary. Combined with a whip-crack sharp intellect you picked up Dad's and my joyfully irreverent streak and took it to new heights. When I get a chance to talk with your friends, they regale me with tales of how you would have everyone cracking up with your antics and quick comebacks. What I love is that you didn't hurt anyone's feelings in the attempt to make a joke, using yourself as the fall guy, instead. It was a great day for me whenever you came home and would cut-up with your brothers and dad. Blazing Saddles and Smokey and the Bandit would always get you guys going.

U is for Ubiquitous
Okay, I have no clue how the hell you were ever in all the places and with all the people you were in the waking hours of any day. It never appeared to us that you were in a hurry, but somehow you made the rounds. From one end of the county to the other, you shared your time, easy smile and kind heart with so many people. I've heard from your friends that they miss your presence; I take this as a recognition of how rooted you were in each moment, living it fully with each person. I never heard you say, I wish I were somewhere else, doing something else. When you felt it was time to move on to the next thing, you just rolled on with a cheerful, "See ya later, Hoss."

R is for Rambunctious
Rough and rowdy rambunctiousness ran in a broad streak in your life. From your youngest days, you were drawn to big trucks, horsepower, heavy machinery, high caliber guns, loud music and speed. A good day for you would involve any, and preferably many, of these with some added mud and grease to top it off. I had to laugh on those days when you would walk in the door muddy, greasy and covered in cockleburs and were surprised at my insistence that you drop trou on the porch. No greasy cockleburs on the couch, please. I loved how you were undaunted by, and maybe even called to, wet, cold, mud, snow, ice, grease, dust, heat, dirt, and loud, rowdy messiness. You would march right into it and do whatever it was that you wanted to do.

S is for Skillful
You know those people who can do anything they turned their hand and mind to? Yeah, that's you. From working on motors to carpentry, guitar picking and cooking your favorite meals, you learned how to do things with such ease. It was a natural expression of your Self to fix, create, sing, cook and share your talents with others. I always knew you had been to the house because there would be evidence of venison and gravy being whipped up on the stove. It was such a joy to hear you and your dad play guitar and sing together. I miss that a lot, I must say.

T is for Totally Gorgeous
Oh, my. Yep, Bubby. You are one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen since the second you were born. Blue-eyed and charming you won everyone's heart without guile from your earliest years. Your handsome and able body was a sight to behold as you grew to be a man, but through all your life it was your heart and soul that shone through. Allowing others to see who you are is what made the biggest impact. There are a lot of pretty people, Thor, but you had this extra magical air about you that captivated and endeared you to everyone.

O is for Ornery
And you know it, too! You had just enough orneriness in you to keep me on my toes. As frustrating as it could be when you were rascally and irascible, you weren't mean about it. I found myself bemused and tolerant in this rare expression of cantankerousness. I chalked it up to the growing pains of becoming a man…it's a hard thing to do.

N is for Notable
Your life is notable, Thor, and by this I mean extraordinary! The thing I hope that most people will remember is the legacy of how much you gave of yourself to others. It was incredible to me that an 89-year-old man would come to me and say how you two were buddies and the very next person who spoke to me was a 14-year-old girl who said the same thing. You cared for people and you cared about what they were going through. When you asked them what's going on, you wanted to hear the answer and would talk a while. This is notable.

The fire service requires a lot from its members; rigorous training, ill-timed tones that interrupt long-laid plans, a willingness to put others before oneself, these are just a few of the personal costs to serve. We need more young people shouldering these life-protecting roles in our community. I am beyond proud of you for walking this road and for taking up the mantle of community service and putting it as a top priority in your life. This is notable.

You are an unforgettable big brother for Chaz and Xan. They will forever inject your memory into their lives as they unfold. They will hold you close and remember the love, fun, kindness, wry humor and good times of your short, but notable life.

As for me, you are always my ultra-extraordinary first child. You are the one who made me a mom, defined a new role in my life and opened my heart to a new depth of love that I didn't know existed.  Submerged in the deep well of grief, I struggle each day since your death, Thor. Still, I wouldn't trade loving you less intensely for hurting less keenly, now. I will gladly pay the price of love like ours.

There you have it, Thor. My cheesy Valentine to you. I hope you can feel the love in my heart that sings to you each and every moment of each and every day. 

Happy Hearts Day, sweet boy!

I love you,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. Please remember their are actual humans with feelings on the other end...civility is required.