Friday, January 15, 2016

For Thor - 2 - Anger

Today there is an angry edge to my thoughts. I’m mad at you, Thor, actually. Go figure, right? You’re used to that, I suppose. But I am also angry at myself. It's enough anger to go around, believe me.


I’m trying to do a few normal things. I washed the dishes and put in a load of laundry. I made the bed and fed the cats. What’s new is the dialogue in my mind. It swirls in and out of a one-way conversation to a plea to the Universe for a Goddamned Do-Over. “I miss you, Thor. Oh, look at how cute you were in this picture. I can’t believe you are gone. You never know when shit’s gonna happen. You’re so vulnerable. God, can’t we go back and try this again?” Then I get mad.


“Why the hell did you have to do {fill in the blank}.  If only you hadn’t {fill in the blank}. If only I had {fill in the blank}. What the fuck were you doing in that truck in the first place? Why didn’t someone tell me you were thinking of getting behind the wheel? Still feeling 10-feet tall and bulletproof, darling boy? Is it wrong to want to yell at you “I told you this would happen, dumbass!”? Yeah, I want to yell I Told You So to my dead son. I’m pretty fucking ticked.


I bet it was a heck of a surprise to you to find your Self severed from your body and floating above it. What I would give to know what your consciousness was experiencing at that moment. Do souls have remorse? Did you want to come back? I know you didn’t intend to leave me. I know you wouldn’t ever intend to hurt me like this. But dammit, it happened. And you are free and here I sit with all this shit to sort through. Here I am mourning you, worried for your dad and your brothers - and everyone who loved you - and how we recover from this impossible wound.


And you, having completed your time here with us, you are expanded into the Realm of Angels. It’s not supposed to be this way. You and your brothers are supposed to hold each other up many years from now when your dad and I take that journey. You are supposed to have had practice in grieving deep loss by mourning the passing of beloved grandparents, first. This is a bizarre plot twist in the natural order of things.


I’m mad at myself for failing you. It’s my job to keep you whole, healthy, happy and alive; has been since the day I gave birth to you. You were determined to make my job really hard --and apparently impossible. Early on, I realized I had to simply give you to God.  I would do my best to protect and help you, but ultimately you are God’s child, not mine. If he wanted to take you, he would and there’s nothing I could do about it. This doesn’t mean I didn’t do my part... from baby gates to vaccinations and being hyper-selective of media and friends, eating right and all those little life skills and lessons. The lessons you learned and shared with so many, in turn. I worked to keep you here where you could thrive among us. I failed. God won. He wanted you back and took you. Asshole move, God. Really.


Each morning I light the candle that sits next to your ashes and look at the beautiful photographs of your smiling face. I tell you good morning. And I wait. What will today’s grieving be about? Which barbs will snag my heart today? Will it be a sweet savoring of memories? Will it be sobbing jags poured forth from the rend in my heart?  Today along with the agony of missing you it seems to be anger. Again, this is apparently normal. What the hell kind of normal is this that a mom is pissed off at her dead son.

Just writing those words is inflammatory. Dead. Son. Holy shit, Thor. How did we get here?

24 comments:

  1. Thank you. I feel deeply honored to be allowed IN to your very sacred, personal grieving process. You are beautiful and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OhmyGOD Cass.....I am at once in a puddle of tears, in awe of your courage and terrified because it could be any of our children at any moment. I'd be having some pretty tough conversations too.....I think God and your precious son expect that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So heartbreaking..thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. me too.... it's terrifying... every mother can recognize herself in your thoughts, your anger. Hold on my dear. You are beautiful and full of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yolanta. It is terrifying. But I have so many to help me get through it. xo

      Delete
  5. Love you! Be strong❤ I went through the same thing! I am still mad at him and that makes me feel worse. I feel wrong for being mad. It was a mistake. It was simply an accident, but I slam still angry. I miss him so and I wish I could just have changed it in some way. I am right there with you. Each day its different. One day I'm grieving and upset the next day I'm celebrating your life and thinking of the hilarious memories and the next day I'm mad. Remember that we love you and are praying! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love you, too, darling Tess. We'll walk this road together. Can't wait to see you and Travis and little Peyton. xoxo

      Delete
  6. Love you! Be strong❤ I went through the same thing! I am still mad at him and that makes me feel worse. I feel wrong for being mad. It was a mistake. It was simply an accident, but I slam still angry. I miss him so and I wish I could just have changed it in some way. I am right there with you. Each day its different. One day I'm grieving and upset the next day I'm celebrating your life and thinking of the hilarious memories and the next day I'm mad. Remember that we love you and are praying! ��

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still without the appropriate words Cass. Sadness, anger, heartbreak. Want my joy and happiness back but it will never be the same without Thor so I wonder if the effort to find those things is actually worth it; I pray for you, for George and Chaz and Xan. I pray for all that love Thor. I pray we are all caught up in nightmare and that we will soon wake up and find Thor playing his guitar with George. I want him to ask why we have been so caught up in memories of him when he has been here all along. I know that will never happen and when that reality hits, it knocks me to my knees again. And then the guilt kicks in; feeling guilty because I know how great your grief is and that perhaps I have no right to grieve as if Thor was my child. Yet, in so many ways I do. I miss my weekly visits and that pisses me off. I wonder if Thor sees your pain, my pain, the pain of so many. I wonder if Thor sees that my son can't get his "shit together." I wonder if he knows how much he is loved and how much he is missed. So, with head lowered, I pray, I cry and then I pray some more. All my love Cass, every ounce pours out to you, George, the boys and to so many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Christine - or Mama C - he loves you so, as do we. You loved him. Your tears are sacred as are every single tear shed for someone loved who is passed on. xo

      Delete
  8. "Asshole move, God." (my favorite) Thank you, brave Sister. <3 <3 <3 Razor accuracy and naked truth that every mother can identify with. We all work, hope, and pray not to be wearing your shoes. But, we all know, deep down, nothing we can do matters....it's not up to us. Love, love, love you--to the moon and back again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It could be any of us, but it is you. I am so sorry my sweet sister, I wish we could turn back time and take this nightmare away from you (and all of us). I love you. 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being short a time machine, I guess we are stuck with it. Bleh! I love you, too!

      Delete
  10. With tears rolling down my cheeks, I'm sending you every ounce of love and strength I have. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dear Brother. I feel the love and strength. It really is getting me (us) through this. xo

      Delete
  11. Tears and feelings just keep on flowing. I'm holding you all in my mother-heart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a powerful soul Cassi ... a beautiful angel - with a spirit that dances with dragons who breath the fire of purification with unconditional love ... it's all part of the wild ride we call life. Sending you blankets of love sista ... now go start a drum circle ... the kind we used to do around the fire ... sing to your hearts content and beat those drums silly ... until everyone in the universe feels it! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wild ride, indeed! Thanks for the love blankets...I am curled up in them all snugly and warm. xo

      Delete
  13. your gut wrenching honesty opens my heart ever wider in attempting to embrace, comprehend and assuage such grief
    OM Love

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Please remember their are actual humans with feelings on the other end...civility is required.